Release Notes: OTRS 4
November 25, 2014 — OTRS, the world’s leading provider of open source Help Desk and ITIL® V3 compliant IT Service Management (ITSM) solutions, today announces the stable release of OTRS 4.
Please note, that from now on we will only officially support versions OTRS 3.3 and OTRS 4.
What’s New in OTRS 4
- A new cleaner flat design has been implemented.
- Agents can now reply directly to a ticket note. The original notes body is quoted in the new note.
- Agents can now make use of templates in all screens with internal notes.
- Added new screen for outgoing emails on a ticket that are not replies.
- Ticket action screens (such as note, owner etc.) now allow to do actions without always creating an article (configurable).
- New ticket overview based on “my services” that an agent can subscribe to. Notification options for new tickets and follow-ups can now be based on “my queues”, “my services” or combinations of both.
- OTRS can now display tickets with thousands of articles.
- Customer online list in Dashboard now links directly to CustomerInformationCenter page for the customer.
- Agents can now persistently reorder their main menu with drag&drop.
- Agents and customers can now search tickets by attachment name.
- Added functionality to search for the last change time of the ticket (TicketLastChangeTimeOlderMinutes, TicketLastChangeTimeNewerMinutes, TicketLastChangeTimeNewerDate, TicketLastChangeTimeOlderDate).
- New Dashboard Widget for running process tickets.
Added Excel export as an alternative to CSV export.
- Added calendar specific weekday start options for date picker.
- Updated translation files, thanks to all translators.
- Added new Swahili language translation.
- Added the possibility to define a sleeptime to a lot of .pl scripts to improve behaviour on production systems.
2. SCALABILITY & PERFORMANCE
- OTRS 4 can handle more concurrent users/requests on the same hardware, and response times for single requests are shorter as well, especially for pages with lots of data.
3. WORKING WITH EXTERNAL SYSTEMS
- The GenericInterface now also supports HTTP REST as network transport protocol.
4. INSTALLATION & ADMINISTRATION
- Postmaster filters are no longer limited to 4 match/set fields. They can now have a configurable amount of fields (default 12, up to 99).
- A new configuration option
Ticket::MergeDynamicFieldsmakes it possible to specify which dynamic fields should also be merged when a ticket is merged to another ticket.
- Added new options to check dynamic fields of type text on patterns relating to error messages (translated), if they do not match.
- Added new options to restrict dynamic fields of type date/datetime on future or past dates.
- OTRS can be configured to automatically unlock a ticket if articles are added and the owner is out of office.
- Linked tickets of a specific type (e.g. merged or removed) can now be hidden via SysConfig option.
- ACL handling has been improved, made more consistent and easier to debug.
- Added new ACL option
PossibleAddto add items to a possible list without resetting (like
- Added new ACL value modifiers
[Notregexp], for all ACLs parts.
- Added new ACL option
- Process handling has been improved, made more consistent and easier to debug.
- A new GUID-based entity naming scheme for the OTRS Process configuration makes it possible to safely transfer processes from one system to another without duplicating the entities.
- Added new Transition Action to create a new ticket.
- Added possibility to define variable Transition Action attributes based on current process ticket values.
- The possibility to schedule System Maintenance periods is available from the System Administration panel in the Admin interface.
- A notification about an incoming System Maintenance period will be shown with some (configurable) time in advance.
- If a System Maintenance is active, a notification about it will be shown on the Agent and Customer interface, and only admin users can log on to the system.
- An overview screen informs admins about active sessions, which can be ended all on one click or one by one.
- Added possibility to disable sysconfig import via configuration.
- Added Apache MD5 as a new password hashing backend, thanks to Norihiro Tanaka.
- Added the possibility to restrict customer self registration by email address whitelist or blacklist, thanks to Renée Bäcker.
- Added new dashboard module that shows the output of an external command, thanks to ib.pl.
- New powerful template engine based on Template::Toolkit.
- A central object manager makes creating and using global objects much easier (thanks to Moritz Lenz @ noris network).
- The OPM package format was extended to signal that a package has been merged into another package, allowing the package manager to correctly handle this situation on package installation or update.
- Caching was centralized in one global cache object which also performs in-memory caching for all data.
- Added cache benchmark script, thanks to ib.pl.
Important for Upgrading
- From a previous version of OTRS 4:
- Make sure you run
bin/otrs.RebuildConfig.plafter the upgrade so that the configuration is refreshed. Otherwise the system may not work.
- Make sure you run
- From OTRS 3.3.x: Please consult our admin manual for detailed instructions.
- Bug#10879 – GenericInterfae: TicketSearch operation does not take escalation parameters.
- Bug#10812 – SOAP Response is always in version SOAP 1.2.
- Bug#10083 – SMIME and Email address detection is case sensitive (for the right part)..
- Bug#10841 – ORA-00932 in DBUpdate-to-4.pl.
- Bug#10872 – Dynamic field regular expressions don’t work.
- Bug#10712 – Incorrect utf8 in ZZZAuto.pm (via SysConfig).
- Bug#10826 – German – Translation Problem.
- Bug#10506 – Title mouse over text is truncated.
- Bug#10678 – Dates off by one on area diagram in dashboard widget.
The detailed ChangeLog can be found at: https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/blob/rel-4_0_1/CHANGES.md.
These browsers are not supported:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer before version 8
- Firefox before version 10
- Safari before version 5
Please note that OTRS 5 will not support Internet Explorer 8 and 9.
Download the latest release with your OTRS-ID – Your personal all-round account
- free promotion specials
- free access to our knowledge database to solve problems
- stay informed with our OTRS-Newsletter and manage your newsletter subscription
- contact us more easily and keep track of your requests
If you already have login information to our OTRS-Portal, you also have an OTRS-ID (email-address). Please, log in as usual https://portal.otrs.com/otrs/customer.pl You can find the current releases in the section “Download“ If your password is not accepted, please use the „Forgot password“-link, so we can send you a new password.
If you do not have an OTRS-ID, you can register for free at https://portal.otrs.com/otrs/customer.pl#Signup
If you don’t want to use the benefits of an OTRS-ID, you may proceed with the Public Download
OTRS Group, the source code owner, provides world-wide enterprise support, consulting and engineering including process design, implementation, customization, application support, and fully managed service.