Release Notes: OTRS 5
October 20, 2015 — OTRS, the world’s leading provider of open source Help Desk and ITIL® V3 compliant IT Service Management (ITSM) solutions, today announces the stable release of OTRS 5.
Please note, that from now on we will only officially support versions OTRS 4 and OTRS 5 and following versions.
- Updated translations, thanks to all translators.
- Added new ‘Unformatted’ template for email notification method.
What’s New in OTRS 5
- OTRS is now optimized for use on different types and sizes of mobile devices.
- Single-select and multi-select input fields have been modernized and provide advanced searching and filtering capabilities (thanks to Dusan Vuckovic at Mühlbauer).
- Images can now be added/uploaded to the WYSIWYG editor using Copy&Paste and Drag&Drop from anywhere outside the application (in all browsers, without additional Add-On).
- Improved ticket notification system. It is now possible to configure own ticket notifications with own trigger conditions and recipients. With OTRS Business Solution™, notifications can also be delivered via SMS and/or Notification Web View. The latter is a special screen in OTRS that holds all notifications of the agent; with this OTRS can be used entirely without an email client.
- Statistics received a new graphical user interface which is much better accessible and helps to create great statistics quickly and easily.
- Additionally, statistics support the new time periods “quarter” and “half-year”
- It is now possible to group action menu items in the ticket zoom screen. Less often used items can be grouped in a submenu, improving screen usage and clarity.
- Ticket overviews can now display customer company data, thanks to Renée Bäcker.
- The ticket process TransitionAction “TicketCreate” can now create tickets without articles.
2. SCALABILITY & PERFORMANCE
- The new OTRS Daemon handles all asynchronous and periodic tasks and replaces all previous OTRS cron jobs. In a clustered environment the load is automatically distributed over the nodes.
- It is now possible to specify multiple read only mirror (slave) databases for expensive computations such as statistics or fulltext searches to distribute the load among these database servers.
- A new two-factor authentication layer allows added login security.
- If entering a fixed username and password doesn’t satisfy your requirements, you can now additionally use the open standard for time-based one-time passwords (RfC 6238, also known as Google Authenticator).
- After having enabled the two-factor authentication, agents and customers can add a shared secret to their preferences and immediately start logging in using one-time passwords created by a compatible method of their choice (e.g. the Android Google Authenticator app).
4. WORKING WITH EXTERNAL SYSTEMS
- A new XSLT-based GenericInterface mapping module allows for arbitrarily complex user-defined data mapping.
5. INSTALLATION & ADMINISTRATION
- The new OTRS console makes working on the command line easy and fun. All commands have a consistent interface, useful documentation and provide helpful colored output.
- Administrators can now specify a minimum log level to reduce logging volume, thanks to Renée Bäcker.
- Overview screens in the admin area now show invalid entities in gray, making it easy to focus on active elements.
Important for Upgrading
- From a previous version of OTRS 5:
- Make sure you run
bin/otrs.RebuildConfig.plafter the upgrade so that the configuration is refreshed. Otherwise, the system may not work.
- Make sure you run
- From OTRS 5 Beta5:
- Set the “Send by default” check from Email notification method, in all ticket notifications that are set to be sown in the agent preferences.
- From OTRS 4.x: Please consult our admin manual for detailed instructions.
- Bug#11566 – Once per day notification setting is not honored if sendmail backend is used under certain circumstances.
- Bug#11562 – Tickets with status ‘pending auto close -/+’ will be closed as usually, but a ‘Ticket locked out’ notification is sent to agents.
- Bug#11556 – Searching in input fields does not hide non-matching entries.
- Bug#11535 – Listed message for disabled languages in ticket notification management, thanks to S7.
- Bug#11519 – Old message in AgentTicketBounce, thanks to Norihiro Tanaka.
- Bug#11510 – AgentTicketMove empty by sys config changes.
- Bug#11255 – Forwarding Templates do not work with rich text disabled.
- Bug#11260 – Missing translation escalation, thanks to S7.
- Bug#11467 – ACL does not work with Dest Link in Customer::ModuleRegistration, thanks to S7.
- Bug#11513 – Out of Office is missing in owner dropdown.
- Bug#11530 – Some messages are not translatable, thanks to S7.
- Bug#11544 – Missing Dynamic Field Name in container div class in Customer Interface.
The detailed ChangeLog can be found at: https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/blob/rel-5_0_1/CHANGES.md.
These browsers are not supported:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer before version 10
- Firefox before version 10
- Safari before version 5
Download the latest release with your OTRS-ID – Your personal all-round account
- free promotion specials
- free access to our knowledge database to solve problems
- stay informed with our OTRS-Newsletter and manage your newsletter subscription
- contact us more easily and keep track of your requests
If you already have login information to our OTRS-Portal, you also have an OTRS-ID (email-address). Please, log in as usual https://portal.otrs.com/otrs/customer.pl You can find the current releases in the section “Download“ If your password is not accepted, please use the „Forgot password“-link, so we can send you a new password.
If you do not have an OTRS-ID, you can register for free at https://portal.otrs.com/otrs/customer.pl#Signup
If you don’t want to use the benefits of an OTRS-ID, you may proceed with the Public Download
OTRS Group, the source code owner, provides world-wide enterprise support, consulting and engineering including process design, implementation, customization, application support, and fully managed service.