Security Advisory 2018-04: Security Update for OTRS Framework
September 21, 2018 — Please read carefully and check if the version of your OTRS system is affected by this vulnerability.
Please send information regarding vulnerabilities in OTRS to: email@example.com
Security Advisory Details
- ID: OSA-2018-04
- Date: 2018-09-21
- Title: Remote File Deletion
- Severity: 5.6. Medium
- Product: OTRS 6.0.x, OTRS 5.0.x, OTRS 4.0.x
- Fixed in: OTRS 6.0.11, OTRS 5.0.30, OTRS 4.0.32
- FULL CVSS v3 VECTOR: CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:R/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:H/E:P/RL:O/RC:R
- References: CVE-2018-16587
This advisory covers vulnerabilities discovered in the OTRS framework.
An attacker could send a malicious email to an OTRS system. If a user with admin permissions opens it, it causes deletions of arbitrary files that the OTRS web server user has write access to.
Affected by this vulnerability are all releases of OTRS 6.0.x up to and including 6.0.10, OTRS 5.0.x up to and including 5.0.29, and OTRS 4.0.x up to and including 4.0.31.
This vulnerability is fixed in the latest versions of OTRS, and it is recommended to upgrade to the latest patch level.
Fixed releases can be found at:
Detailed information about the changes:
- OTRS 6: https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/commit/a4a1a01f84fac7ab032570ee50b660e2ebb15c01
- OTRS 5: https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/commit/d9db0c6a15caafda7689320ecf61777993c33711
- OTRS 4: https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/commit/d8cae00b0f78c2a07bb10cedb817304139395843
However, to avoid unwanted side effects, we recommend a complete update.
Thanks to Francesco Sirocco for discovering and reporting this issue.