September 21, 2018 — Please read carefully and check if the version of your OTRS system is affected by this vulnerability.
Please send information regarding vulnerabilities in OTRS to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Security Advisory Details
- ID: OSA-2018-05
- Date: 2018-09-21
- Title: Loading External Image or CSS Resources
- Severity: 3.7. low
- Product: OTRS 6.0.x, OTRS 5.0.x, OTRS 4.0.x
- Fixed in: OTRS 6.0.11, OTRS 5.0.30, OTRS 4.0.32
- URL: TBD
- FULL CVSS v3 VECTOR: CVSS:3.0/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:R/S:U/C:N/I:L/A:N/E:P/RL:O/RC:R
- References: CVE-2018-16586
This advisory covers vulnerabilities discovered in the OTRS framework.
An attacker could send a malicious email to an OTRS system. If a logged in user opens it, the email could cause the browser to load external image or CSS resources.
Affected by this vulnerability are all releases of OTRS 6.0.x up to and including 6.0.10, OTRS 5.0.x up to and including 5.0.29, and OTRS 4.0.x up to and including 4.0.31.
This vulnerability is fixed in the latest versions of OTRS, and it is recommended to upgrade to the latest patch level.
Fixed releases can be found at:
Detailed information about the changes:
- OTRS 6: https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/commit/09e80c7752b0d9080688e4597c7495dd109e0963
- OTRS 5: https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/commit/a808859a75c59ae3b7568f5cc4708c53462aa4c7
- OTRS 4: https://github.com/OTRS/otrs/commit/baa92df09145b8ae2702a3a0e85d8ba55ec96302
However, to avoid unwanted side effects, we recommend a complete update.
Thanks to Fabien Arnoux for discovering and reporting this issue.